The costs of medically necessary testing and treatment for COVID-19 are covered at 100% for HMAA members in accordance with HMAA’s medical plans until the Public Health Emergency Declaration for COVID-19 ends. This means HMAA members will not be responsible for copayments, coinsurance, or deductibles related to COVID-19 testing or treatment until October 2021 unless the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services declares otherwise.
- Medically necessary COVID-19 testing rendered by in-network participating or non-participating providers is covered at 100%.
- COVID-19 diagnostic testing for travel purposes, such as to avoid quarantines associated with business or leisure travel, is not covered.
- COVID-19 diagnostic tests if you don’t have symptoms of COVID-19 are not covered, except when related to clearance for surgery or other medical procedures.
- Antibody testing to indicate immunity to COVID-19 is not covered.
- Preoperative COVID-19 testing is covered with no cost share for members with no COVID-19 symptoms who will undergo surgery or other medical procedures.
- Treatment for COVID-19 rendered by in-network participating providers is covered at 100%.
- Preventive treatment for COVID-19, such as vaccines, are covered at 100%. If you have questions about the vaccine, please contact your primary care physician. Refer to the Hawai`i State Department of Health website for vaccine information.
HMAA members who are unable to visit their regular doctor or want to avoid being exposed to other individuals may use HMAA’s free telemedicine service, HiDoc, for access to a physician by phone or online. Learn More.
While medical experts further develop effective prevention and treatment for COVID-19, we at HMAA want to assure our members and `ohana that your health is our priority, and we continue to vigilantly implement measures to protect the health of our members.
This notice was last updated on July 21, 2021.