Skip to content
What should Employers and Plan Administrators do?
- Identify who has had an involuntary termination of employment or reduction in hours and is still within the 18-month COBRA period.
- Provide these individuals with the notice and special election form to elect COBRA. HMAA will do this if we administer COBRA on your behalf.
- Modify your payroll administration to incorporate the COBRA subsidy. This will include:
- Identifying AEIs
- Calculating the subsidy amount
- Tracking the subsidy duration for each AEI
- Keep track of premiums paid for subsidized COBRA in order to accurately claim tax credits.
- Prepare to provide the expiration notice to AEIs other than those whose coverage is expiring due to other group health coverage or Medicare. HMAA will do this if we administer COBRA on your behalf.